• 1 14 oz can of Tomato Sauce
• ⅓ cup of Apricot Puree or Jam
• Juice of 1 small Lemon
• 1 teaspoon of Cumin
• 1 teaspoon of ground Ginger
• 1 teaspoon of Salt
• ½ teaspoon of Sweet Paprika
• 4 lbs of Chicken Thighs
• 2 Yellow Onions, sliced
• 3 Garlic Cloves, minced
• 1 Tablespoon of Fresh Grated Ginger
• 3 Cinnamon Sticks
• ⅓ cup of Almond Butter
• 1-2 cups of Water
• 3 Tablespoons of Cooking Fat (coconut oil, ghee, or lard)
1. Combine the tomato sauce, apricot, lemon juice, cumin, ground ginger, salt, and paprika into a bowl and mix.
2. Heat a frying pan to medium high and add 2 tablespoons of cooking fat.
3. Pat dry the chicken and add to the pan. Cook about 3-4 minutes on each side.
4. Transfer the chicken into the crock pot.
5. Add the onions, garlic, and ginger to the pan and cook until barely translucent (about 2 minutes), add more cooking fat if necessary. Transfer to the crock pot.
6. Turn off the heat for the frying pan and add the sauce mixture to the frying pan, deglazing the brown bits.
7. Mix in 1 cup of water and almond butter to the sauce.
8. Pour the contents into the crock pot and add the cinnamon sticks.
9. Add more water to barely cover the meat.
10. Cover and cook on low for at least 6 hours.