• 2 lbs. Tomatillos, husks removed
• 2 Poblano or Anaheim Peppers
• 2 T. Olive Oil
• 3 lb. Pork Shoulder Roast, cut into 1″ cubes
• 2 Yellow Onions, cut into thick chunks
• 5 Garlic Cloves, chopped
• 1 t. Oregano
• 1 T. Cumin
• ½ t. Paprika
• ½ t. Chili Powder
• 2 t. Coarse Real Salt
• 1 bunch Cilantro, bottom stems cut off
• 4 oz. Can Green Chilis
• 2½ C. Chicken Broth
• Lime wedges, to garnish
• Avocado Slices, to garnish
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Line a baking sheet with tin foil. Place the tomatillos (halve them if they are large) and the poblano or anaheim peppers on the lined baking sheet and place them on the top rack of the oven.
2. Roast for 25-30 minutes, or until the tops are charred.
3. While the tomatillos and peppers are roasting, heat the olive oil in a frying pan over high heat.
4. Add the cubes of pork to the oil and brown on all sides. Place the pork in a slow cooker.
5. Reduce the heat to medium/high and add the onion. Saute for 2 minutes, or until softened. Add the garlic, cumin, paprika, and salt and saute for another minute. Add the chicken broth, bring to a simmer and pour the mixture over the pork in the slow cooker.
6. When the tomatillos and peppers have finished roasting, remove them from the oven. Remove the charred skin from the peppers and place them, and the tomatillos in a blender along with the cilantro and green chilis. Blend until smooth.
7. Pour over the pork in the slow cooker.
8. Cook on high for 4 hours or low for 6-8 hours.
9. Check seasonings before serving and add more salt, if needed.